Jump to Navigation

What to do if you are stopped or arrested at a demonstration

This has been a year marked by many public marches and demonstrations. As Americans, we have the right to peacefully assemble and protest in public places and, with property owners' permission, on private property.

However, too often, people who intend only to exercise their right to free speech end up under arrest, sometimes for serious charges. This October, a documentary filmmaker was arrested on felony charges as she filmed the protest of the Keystone Pipeline.

If you participate in a demonstration, it's essential to know how to avoid arrest and what to do if you are arrested. Too often, people make the situation worse for themselves because they get caught up in the heat of the moment. Remember the following tips, which are also helpful in any encounter with the police:

-- If you are questioned by police, be polite, respectful and calm.

-- If asked to provide your name or identification, comply with the request.

-- Police have the right to pat you down over your clothes to ensure that you aren't armed. However, they don't have a right to any further search of your body or belongings without your permission. Respectfully decline to provide that.

-- If you are placed under arrest, don't resist. You have the right to ask what you're being arrested for. Tell the officer(s) that you're invoking your right to remain silent, and ask to contact your attorney immediately.

-- As soon as possible, document exactly what happened and contact anyone who witnessed or videotaped your arrest.

Arguing with law enforcement officials about your rights being violated won't help you and could lead to additional charges and possibly endanger your safety. If your rights were violated, it's your attorney's job to make that case for you in court.

Source: ACLU, "Know Your Rights: What to Do if Your Rights are Violated at a Demonstration or Protest," accessed Dec. 28, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm Today

Lakeside Place
323 Lakeside Ave. West
Suite 450
Cleveland, OH 44113

Phone: 216-592-8719
Toll free: 800-845-4710
Fax: 216-781-6242
Map and Directions

Fair Fees. Credit Cards Accepted.

Visa MasterCard American Express Discover Network
Review Us
The Goldberg Law Firm

Over 24 Years Experience Representing Persons in Ohio and Nationwide

The Goldberg Law Firm serves the Cleveland, Ohio, metro area and Northeast Ohio, including Cleveland, Parma, Akron, Lorain, Elyria, Euclid, Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga Falls, Mentor, Strongsville, Berea, Broadview Heights, Brook Park, East Cleveland, Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, North Olmsted, North Royalton, Rocky River, Shaker Heights, Solon, Westlake, Painesville, Medina, Cuyahoga County, Summit County, Lorain County, Lake County and Medina County.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.